Section 504 - Notice of Parental Rights

Student and Parent Rights

The following is a brief description of the rights provided by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to students with disabilities. The intent of the law is to keep you fully informed about decisions concerning your child and to inform you of your rights in the event you disagree with any decisions concerning your child. You have the right to:

1. Have your child take part in, and receive benefits from, public education programs without discrimination based on a disability.

2. Have the school advise you as to your rights under federal law.

3. Receive written notice with respect to the identification, evaluation, or placement of your child.

4. Have your child receive a free appropriate public education. This includes the right to be educated with other students without disabilities to the maximum extent appropriate within the least restrictive environment. It also includes the right to have the school make reasonable accommodations to allow your child an equal opportunity to participate in school and school-related activities.

5. Have your child educated in facilities and receive services comparable to those provided to students without disabilities.

6. Have an evaluation and placement decision for your child based upon information from a variety of sources and which is made by a team of persons knowledgeable about the student, the meaning of evaluation data, and placement options, and have a periodic re-evaluation of your child, including an evaluation before any significant change of placement.

7. Have transportation provided to a school placement setting at no greater cost to you than would be incurred if the student were placed in a program operated by the school.

8. Have your child be given an equal opportunity to participate in non-academic and extracurricular activities offered by the school.

9. Examine all relevant records relating to decisions regarding your child's identification, evaluation, educational program, and placement, and obtain copies of educational records at a reasonable cost unless the fee would effectively deny you access to the records.

10. Receive a response from the school to reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of your child's records.

11. Receive information in your native language and primary mode of communication.

12. Request an amendment of your child's educational records if there is reasonable cause to believe that they are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of your child. If the school refuses this request, it shall notify you within a reasonable time and advise you of the right to a hearing. File a grievance if you believe your child has been discriminated against on the basis of your child’s disability or if you believe the District otherwise violated Section 504 by submitting the grievance in writing to your Section 504 Coordinator/Designee. Request an impartial due process hearing regarding the identification, evaluation, or placement of your child by submitting a request in writing to your Section 504 Coordinator/Designee. You and your child may take part in the hearing and have an attorney represent you.

The School District’s Section 504 Coordinator/Designee is: Pamela Biehl 10 N. Washington Street, Oxford, MI 48371 248-969-5015

File a formal complaint with the Office for Civil Rights in Cleveland, Ohio. The office is part of the U.S. Department of Education. The regional office is located at the following address: United States Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 600 Superior Ave East, Suite 750, Cleveland, Ohio 44114 -2611. The phone number is (216) 522-4970 and the TTY number is (877) 521-2172. The e-mail address is [email protected].